National Trust - Requesting Access

The NT now require all 'organised' groups to get permission to run their event on NT land. This is not new - we should have been doing this in any case. However, they are in the process of reviewing their policy and as such have reiterated this request across all users - including cycle clubs, ramblers, etc. In addition to this, we have been asked to provide insurance details and risk assessments. For those who are members of the SWASH policy, it is hoped that we can obtain a group sign-off for both, but those who are not within SWASH, then you will need to make your own arrangements in regard to insurance. It is hoped that the SWASH risk assessment will be lodged here for general use where required.

A map of the proposed route was also requested, however, this is no longer necessary, in fact the NT will provide us with a map showing where we can't go, for example where works are on-going, or where there are nesting birds, etc.

The NT will issue a 1 year licence to each hash (or SWASH) which will be applicable to all NT land managed from the Drogo office and includes Lydford as well as Drogo area, but excludes Killerton. Killerton and other NT estates will follow shortly.

The good news is that we do not have to pay anything to the NT. They will be charging organisations who make money out of their 'events'.

It is hoped that this compromise will be positively received as problems caused by any one hash could well impact on us all.

It's not clear at this time whether the NT will control this locally, or by location. In either case, the appropriate contact details have been requested and will appear here when available. In the meantime, if you have any questions, regional contact details are available on the NT website.